We have a position opening!
Interested candidates should (please) send a related cover letter and resume to the following:
San Diego Council on Literacy
3245 University Ave., #301
San Diego, CA 92104
Or send by email to email@example.com
(We discourage phone calls from job candidates in response to this position opening.)
The SDCOL will happily accept cover letters and resumes up to the end of the day on Monday, August 29. We would like to begin conducting interviews soon after the close of accepting resumes.
POSITION TITLE: Program Representative
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer and Accountant
LOCATION: Remotely in San Diego County
The Program Representative is the outreach liaison and provider of mission driven support for SDCOL program and fundraising operations. The Program Representative plays a core role at the San Diego Council on Literacy by bringing together a variety of skills and attributes that benefit the literacy effort in San Diego County.
Part-time, non-exempt 20 a week; minimal travel within San Diego County
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program – Advocacy and Awareness
- Collaborate with Marketing Committee, website host and staff to update and maintain SDCOL’s website using WordPress or other format.
- Provide support for raising literacy awareness and advocacy efforts by assisting in crafting routine social media messaging for the SDCOL; Use Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to post literacy-based content and promote SDCOL activities and events.
- Create e-blasts for donor communications and produce, in coordination with the CEO, the quarterly Voice of Literacy newsletter.
- Assist in the creation and design and subsequent distribution of promotional materials and other visuals.
- Using Venngage, create, design, distribute promotional materials and other visuals for diverse purposes, including promotion of the Literacy for All Radio Show.
- Work with the CEO in book distribution efforts.
- Maintain an ongoing, updated database of the friends of SDCOL.
- Manage Dolly Parton “Imagination Library”, Union-Tribune subscription campaign, and literacy referrals for learners and tutors.
Program – Literacy Services Support & Outreach
- Staff the Literacy Referral connections and respond to all online inquiries. Make referrals of potential students and volunteers to appropriate Affiliated Programs.
- Act as liaison between SDCOL and its Affiliated Programs and partners by coordinating communications and bi-monthly meetings.
- Represent SDCOL at community meetings and other engagements in coordination with CEO.
- Provide general office and staff support at all levels of the organization, with the CEO and Accountant, by performing the following tasks:
- Pick up and open office mail weekly/twice monthly.
- Process incoming receipts for deposit and invoices for payment.
- Research, compile and provide data analysis and support to CEO for annual literacy statistics.
- Purchase office supplies and ensure adequate supplies are on hand.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Fundraising and Events
- Assist with SDCOL events and special outreach projects. This includes participation on event committees, solicitation of sponsors for event food, raffle items and other general fundraising activities such as coordinating volunteers for outreach and activities, producing selected materials to promote events, and carrying out assignments leading up to and including the event day.
Events calendar includes but is not limited to:
- Book Distributions – June
- San Diego Union Tribune’s Festival of Books – August
- Literacy Champions Reception – December
- Financial Literacy Superheroes Competition – March
- Literacy Night(s) at the Theatre – Varies
Demonstrated Experience Desired:
- Office coordination or management
- Nonprofit work
- Website development and maintenance with WordPress or other format
- Microsoft Office Suite – especially Word and Excel
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Belief in the value of literacy
- Outgoing, friendly, comfortable working with the public
- Organized with an attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to stand for long periods of time (at events)
- Ability to lift 20 pounds
- Reliable transportation that can accommodate event materials
- Bachelor’s degree desired