POSITION TITLE: Marketing & Program Representative
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer, Accountant
LOCATION: Remotely in San Diego County (subject to change)
The SDCOL Marketing & Program Representative is the outreach liaison and provider of mission driven support for SDCOL programs and fundraising operations. This representative plays a vital role in the organization by bringing and using a variety of skills and attributes that benefit the literacy effort in San Diego County.
Part-time, non-exempt 25 hours a week; minimal travel within San Diego County, $25.00/hour
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program – Advocacy and Awareness (65%)
- Collaborate with the Marketing Committee, website host, and staff to update and maintain the SDCOL’s website using WordPress or other format site editing format.
- Provide support for raising literacy awareness and advocacy efforts by assisting in the crafting of ongoing social media messaging for the SDCOL; Use Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to post literacy-related content. and promote SDCOL activities and events. Provide social media reports.
- Create e-blasts for donor communications and produce, in coordination with the CEO, the quarterly Voice of Literacy newsletter.
- Assist in the creation, design, and subsequent distribution of promotional materials and other visuals.
- Using Venngage or other graphics software to create, design, distribute promotional materials and other visuals for diverse purposes, including promotion of the Gap Minders podcast, Financial Literacy Superheroes Competition, Photo Competition, or other events and activities.
- Work with the CEO in efforts that generate books for children, including book distribution efforts.
- Maintain an ongoing, updated database of friends/advocates for the SDCOL.
- Manage Dolly Parton “Imagination Library” program including promotions, development, and maintenance of the Book Ordering System from registration content.
- Respond to requests for information and referral of learners and tutors to appropriate affiliated program. Maintain related records.
- Assist in the calculation/re-calculation of local literacy statistics; assist in the packaging and promotion of collected data.
Fundraising and Events (20%)
- Assist with SDCOL events and special outreach projects. This includes participation on event committees, solicitation of sponsors for event food, raffle items and other general fundraising activities such as coordinating volunteers for outreach and activities, producing selected materials to promote events, and carrying out assignments leading up to and including the event day.
Events calendar includes but is not limited to:
- Book distributions and related processing
- Financial Literacy Superheroes Competition — March/April
- San Diego Union Tribune “Festival of Books” — August
- SDCOL Photo Competition — August/September
- Literacy Champions Reception — December
Program – Literacy Services Support & Outreach (15%)
- Staff the literacy referral requests and respond to all phone and online inquiries. Make referrals of potential students and volunteers to appropriate Affiliated Programs.
- Act as liaison between SDCOL and its Affiliated Programs and partners by coordinating communications and bi-monthly Affiliated Programs meetings.
- Represent SDCOL at community meetings and other engagements in coordination with the CEO.
- Provide general office and staff support at all levels of the organization, with the CEO and Accountant, by performing the following tasks:
- Pick up and open office mail weekly/twice monthly.
- Process incoming receipts for deposit and invoices for payment.
- Research, compile and provide data analysis and support to CEO for annual literacy statistics.
- Purchase office supplies and ensure adequate supplies are on hand.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Demonstrated Experience Desired:
- Marketing/Public relations experience and/or interest
- Office coordination or management
- Nonprofit work
- Website development and maintenance with WordPress or other format
- Microsoft Office Suite – especially Word and Excel
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Belief in the value of literacy
- Outgoing, friendly, comfortable working with the public
- Organized with an attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to stand for long periods of time (at events)
- Ability to lift 20 pounds (Situational; reasonable accommodations may be made.)
- Reliable transportation that can accommodate event materials
- Bachelor’s degree desired
How to Apply: Candidates must send a cover letter and resume by August 4, 2023 by email or mail.
San Diego Council on Literacy
3245 University Ave., #301
San Diego, CA 92104