Despite progress being made, literacy challenges persist.
Here’s what you can do to support the literacy effort:
- Volunteer to be a tutor for a child or adult.
- Read to children at schools, libraries, and other community locations.
- Read to seniors who may be alone or have vision loss.
- Read to your children. Ask your children to read to you.
- Dedicate one-hour hour every day to family reading.
- Create incentives for older siblings to read to younger siblings.
- Donate time, treasure, talent to an SDCOL affiliated program.
- Sponsor a school.
- Build a Little Free Library in your neighborhood or restock the Little Free Library near you.
- Donate new or like-new books for children in low-income communities.
- Donate to Dolly Parton’s “Imagination Library” program here.
- Donate to the SDCOL here.